AT CATES, OUR CUSTOMERS COME FIRST.
An automation solutions company helping manufacturers compete for over 40 years
Cates Control Systems has been providing automation and control products to manufacturing companies for over 40 years. In 1978 Gordon Cates founded the company as a DC and Eddy current service company in Houston, Texas. Since that time Cates has evolved into an automation solutions company with engineering, fabrication, product and application expertise. Our company has always focused on providing customers with exceptional service.
Our First Job Is, and Always Will Be,
to Listen to Our Customers!
Our Late Founder Gordon Cates
Key Company Milestones
- 1978 Cates founded by Gordon Cates
- 1982 Opened office in Dallas
- 1995 Moved Dallas office to larger location in Plano
- Plano office UL 508A & UL 598A Certified
- 2000 System Integration division split out as I2R
- 2006 Achieved CSIA Certification
- 2010 Moved Houston office to larger location in Webster
- 2013 Control Engineering’s Systems Integrator of the Year
- 2015 Increased Plano manufacturing space by 10,000 sq. ft
- 2020 Control Engineering System Integrator Giants list
- Houston office UL508A Certified
- Cates and I2R combined
Cates and I2R Have Merged
Cates and I2R are now the same company! This merge allows us to offer you a full range of services – from the time you begin considering a project all the way through project completion when you need support services. Our drive and motor experts can specify the best products for your project, and we maintain direct relationships with top vendors for product sourcing. We look forward to fulfilling all of your manufacturing needs through this combined company.
Focus on Technology
As an automation solutions company, technology is the core of our business. Our attention to service matches the technological pursuits of the product manufacturers we represent. This means a globally local presence, customer service, support, expertise, various tools and a technical partnership to give you added value as a customer, designer or end user.
You can expect us to understand your business, your process and your needs from A to Z. We know from experience how to increase your production capacity, improve your product quality, reduce waste and lower your maintenance costs. Our dedicated experts speak your language and can offer the quickest route to a profitable solution, without forgetting personnel safety and environmental responsibility.
We have a thorough knowledge of your applications from pumps, fans and compressors through to conveyors, extruders, winders and marine applications. In your plant, our expertise extends across entire installations from correct selection, dimensioning and installation through to operation and maintenance of drives, PLCs, motors, transformers, relays, switches and contractors and all the way to transducers and meters. Optimal choices not only save energy, but also reduce the application’s maintenance needs.
Locations and Industries
With locations in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio, Cates is positioned to service your needs. We serve a variety of industries; so regardless of your industry, chances are we can offer a solution to fit your needs.
At Cates Control Systems our company culture is firmly rooted in the values of honesty, integrity, reliability and commitment. Our motto is “Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.” At Cates Control Systems we define who we are by the Principles that we use in our business relationships.
Principles We Use In Our Business Relationships
- Integrity Cates Control Systems commits “to do what we say we will do.” If that commitment is in jeopardy, we will immediately work with all involved to get back on schedule.
- Commitment When we agree to a plan, we focus on implementing it.
- Teamwork We choose to work together and depend on each other in order to implement the plan.
- Proactive No matter how small a problem may seem — fixing it now — is the only solution.
- Attitude We choose to be positive!
- Relentless We are relentless in that we will not back down from the pursuit of excellence in every aspect of our business.
- Dissent We feel an atmosphere of respectful and courteous dissent generates the greatest amount of creativity, which is our competitive edge.
- Improvement We embrace mistakes as opportunities which lead to improvements that we need to attain excellence.
- Do Unto Others When we see another team member not living up to these principles, we confront them privately. We expect them to do the same.
- Order Processes are necessary to achieve excellence. We will work within and help improve them.
- Discipline We replace blame and second guessing with constructive problem solving.
- Responsibility We accept the responsibilities of our position and know we are accountable to meet our obligations.
Go ahead email us your tough questions and problems.
Have a Question?
Get help choosing the best
product for your project.